Pilgrimage of women during menstruation or parturition
- If a woman experiences menstruation or parturition while in the state of Ihram, she is allowed to perform all the rituals except for Tawaf and Sa'y. The arrival Tawaf (Tawaf Al-Qudum) in not required of her if she stands at Arafat. She waits till she takes a bath for ritual purity (Tahara) after which she goes for Tawaf Al-Ifadah and Tawaf al-Wada' and performs the Sa'y of Al-Hajj if she is performing Ifrad. But if she is performing Tamattu' or Qiran, she changes and performs the acts of Ifrad and is excused from both Tamattu' or Qiran if she is not purified before standing at Arafat. In case she is purified before standing at Arafat, she would then perform the rites of Tamattu' or Qiran.
- In case she stands at Arafat while she is pure, she must perform Tawaf Al-Ifadah before she menstruates in order not to delay Tawaf al-Ifadah till after her purification.
- If she performs Tawaf Al-Ifadah then she menstruates, Tawaf Al-Wada' is no longer required of her if she leaves Makkah before her purification.
What is special for women only
There are twelve things specifically for women:
- She is allowed to wear sewn clothes in Ihram provided that they are not dyed by saffron or safflower.
- She is allowed to wear "khuff" (a type of sandals) and gloves according to the Hanafi school, while the other three schools banned the gloves.
- She has to cover her head.
- She does not raise her voice in Talbiyah.
- She does not perform Ramal during Tawaf.
- She does not wear her Ihram dress in the form of Idibaa, and does not run during Sa'y between the two green pillars.
- She does not shave her hair but she shortens it.
- She does not touch the Black Stone in the presence of a crowd of men, rather she points to it.
- She does not need to compensate for leaving Tawaf Al-Wada' if she is menstruating.
- She does not need to compensate for delaying Tawaf al-Zyarah during the three days of Mina when leaving or delaying is due to menstruation or partruition.
- To perform Tawaf at the edge (not the centre) of the crowd.
- Not to stand near Jabal Al-Rahmah (the Mountain of Mercy). These two things are meant in order not to be in an over-crowded place among men.